They were first authorized by congress for July 4th, 1777, and ever since then, entire communities have gathered together on 4th of July night to watch beautiful fireworks light up the town. Here are a few fun facts about fireworks that you may not have known
- Legend has it that the Chinese made the first fireworks in the 800s, filling bamboo shoots with gunpowder and exploding them at the New Year with the hope that the sound would scare away evil spirits.
- Early fireworks were exploded for the sound until chemicals were added for color, starting in Italy
- in the 1830's.
- Disney World has more than 1,000 fireworks shows every year.
- The most difficult color to create with fireworks is blue.
- The world's largest single firework was set off at a festival in Japan in 1988. The shell weighed over 1/2 a ton and the burst was over a kilometer across.
Everyone here at J-41™ wishes you and your family a happy 4th of July - we hope you get to see a beautiful fireworks show in your town! (If not, enjoy the one below ;)